Saturday 3 December 2011

The Thing


I'm going to confuse everyone with this as I'm going to have a personal blog and a review with the same title. It's been a while since I wrote a personal blog though and in writing my review for The Thing (2011) I felt the need to elaborate.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I am a lifelong horror fan. Cheesy ones, scary ones, classic ones, horrors about aliens, ghosts, boogie men, vampires, werewolves. You name it, I've seen it and probably loved it. The Thing (1982) however, was something entirely different. It might not have been the first film to scare me but it's the first film that I remember being genuinely afraid of. 

But before I talk about that I should give you some background so you know how hardcore a horror fan I really was. I grew up watching Hammer Horrors. "Not scary" I hear you cry. Maybe not. But when I say grew up I mean it. I can't have been older than 5 when I saw my first. I used to sneak downstairs at night and watch them with my mum. You might think badly of her for letting me watch such things but I didn't sleep as a child, so what was a single mother with two other kids to do? I would only fall asleep with my head in my mum's lap as she stroked my hair or my back. It was soothing to me. So the chances of me falling asleep alone in my bed were slim to none unless she stayed with me and she didn't have the time. Plus it didn't turn me into a psycho so it was clearly fine. And I loved them. Christopher Lee as Dracula, Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. Great films. And so the child of horror was born.

We swiftly moved on to 'Halloween' and it quickly became our tradition to watch it every year on Halloween when BBC2 used to show it. It was only when I then showed Halloween to my neighbour (who must have been about 8 or 9 at the time) and she screamed at the pumpkin in the opening credits that I realised I was not like other girls my age. I was tougher. Able to laugh in the face of horror.

I then moved on to Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St. Nothing could phase me. Or so I thought.

I don't remember how old I was when my brother told me 'The Thing' was going to be on TV but I must have been in my early teens. I thought nothing of watching it on his recommendation. He likely told me "You like horrors, you'll probably like this", or words to that effect. It was on late, I was the only one still awake as I'd stayed up to watch it. Lights off for dramatic effect. And it scared the crap out of me. I don't know why it resonated with me so deeply but nothing had ever scared me so much. Maybe it was the idea of being taken over by something which imitates you, you cease to exist but something is pretending to be you? Maybe it was just the grizzly deaths? Maybe the isolation? Maybe all of these factors? Whatever it was, I still find it scary - though not to the extent I did that fateful night - but it remains one of my all time favourite films, not just a favourite horror film, to this day.

My review of the prequel, which is also named The Thing, can be found here. But if you haven't seen the original I would highly recommend it. I recently re-watched it with some friends who'd never seen it before and it was a highly enjoyable if somewhat nerve shredding evening.





No comments:

Post a Comment